[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 12:07:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 10:42 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> OK, let's try to summarize the different views so far:
>
> 1. core+supported (russellb)
> Let Core be anything you want (required set, necessary set...), but have
> a Supported category for everything that is a positive addition to
> OpenStack.
>
> 2. Product core (gabrielhurley)
> Do not have an intermediary category which could carry more duties than
> rights, but have an inclusive definition of Core that would include
> necessary/recommended projects.
>
> 3. Required core (mtaylor)
> Same as "product core", + make all the core stuff a required use if you
> are to call yourself an "OpenStack cloud"
>
> 4. IaaS core (notmyname)
> Do not have an intermediary category, and have Core only include pure
> IaaS projects.

As I said, I think we're discussing two things - "vision for our
coordinated release" and "requirements for use of the trademark" - it'd
be interesting to figure out what the four views are saying about those
two issues.

I'm not sure I fully understand peoples' views enough to summarize that,
but ...

On the vision for the coordinated release:

 1. core+supported (russellb)
 Very inclusive criteria for inclusion.

 2. Product core (gabrielhurley)
 3. Required core (mtaylor)