[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 8 09:42:56 UTC 2012

OK, let's try to summarize the different views so far:

1. core+supported (russellb)
Let Core be anything you want (required set, necessary set...), but have
a Supported category for everything that is a positive addition to
OpenStack.

2. Product core (gabrielhurley)
Do not have an intermediary category which could carry more duties than
rights, but have an inclusive definition of Core that would include
necessary/recommended projects.

3. Required core (mtaylor)
Same as "product core", + make all the core stuff a required use if you
are to call yourself an "OpenStack cloud"

4. IaaS core (notmyname)
Do not have an intermediary category, and have Core only include pure
IaaS projects.

I hope I summarized each correctly...

Personally I lean towards (1) or (2). I think (3) is an (important)
trademark question (what do you need to use in order to call yourself
"OpenStack cloud", "based on OpenStack", etc.) which would be better
solved by the Board of Directors. So in my mind it's equivalent to (2).

I think (4) is too restrictive. Basically I consider Keystone a key
OpenStack project. If it's not in your definition of "Core" then we need
another category ("Supported", personally I prefer the word "Key" which
doesn't sound as much 2nd-class) that is as important to cover for it,
which means solution (1).

About solution (1), would the "Key" projects be under the same
coordinated release system ? I personally think keystone and horizon
need to be released at the same time as the others.

So in the end, I think solution (1) and (2) are essentially the same
thing, and just a play on the words. You both want more projects under
the openstack umbrella. Whether that umbrella is divided, for trademark
reasons, between "Core" and "Key", or everything is considered "Core",
is more a word definition than a technical issue. We would care the same.

The devil is in the details, of course: the wording around (1)
encourages a lot of projects to join while (2) has a "recommended" feel
to it that will make it a bit more exclusive.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Chair, OpenStack Technical Committee