[openstack-dev] [devstack] template disk size not being honored in tools/xen

Stef Telford stelford at internap.com
Wed Nov 7 22:10:37 UTC 2012

Hey Everyone,
   So, I have been beating my head off of this for the better part of the
day now, and I am flinging up my hands in frustration at this point. I am
trying to make the devstack vm basically have a different base size than
8.5GB when building under xenserver/xcp. I tried to change the
DATA_VDI_SIZE but, that was a red herring. I then found inside the config
for the template that is downloaded the disk size, in the other-config
settings, and figured that changing it over would simply be putting in;

 xe template-param-set uuid="$vm_uuid" other-config:disks='<provision><disk
device="0" size="10179869184" sr="" bootable="true"
type="system"/></provision>'

  Thing is, I have tried putting this in both install_os_domU.sh after
template copying but before spin up, and peppered it
throughout install-os-vpx.sh .. all without any success. Well, I shouldn't
say that, I do see that the template DOES have the new disk size (10GB
instead of 8.5GB) but, more than that, it doesn't seem to actually be used
by the template cloning process. case in point;

  stack at DevStackOSDomU:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/xvda

  Disk /dev/xvda: 8589 MB, 8589934592 bytes

   I am scratching my head here, does anyone have any thoughts/ideas ?

   Regards
   S.