[openstack-dev] [metering][ceilometer] Unified Instrumentation, Metering, Monitoring ...

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 20:32:01 UTC 2012

> Here's a first pass at a proposal for unifying StackTach/Ceilometer
> and other instrumentation/metering/monitoring efforts.
>
> It's v1, so bend, spindle, mutilate as needed ... but send feedback!
>
> http://wiki.openstack.org/UnifiedInstrumentationMetering

Thanks for putting this together Sandy,

We were debating on IRC (#heat) earlier the merits of moving the
ceilometer "emission" logic into the services, e.g. directly into the
nova-compute node. At first sight, this seemed to be what you were
getting at with the suggestion:

 "Remove the Compute service that Ceilometer uses and integrate the
  existing fanout compute notifications into the data collected by the
  workers. There's no need for yet-another-worker."

While this could be feasible for measurements driven directly by
notifications, I'm struggling with the idea of moving say the libvirt
polling out of the ceilometer compute agent, as this seems to leak too
many monitoring-related concerns directly into nova (cadence of polling,
semantics of libvirt stats reported etc.).

So I just wanted to clarify whether the type of low level unification
you're proposing includes both push & pull (i.e. notification & polling)
or whether you mainly had just former in mind when it comes to ceilometer.

Cheers,
Eoghan