[openstack-dev] Quantum Performance

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed Nov 7 18:12:11 UTC 2012

I'd like to see something like this automated as part of the smoke tests,
otherwise its easy for performance regressions to sneak in.  I am not aware
of this existing for a Folsom-based setup yet.

This seems to be the bug we're using to track:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/quantum/+bug/1075369.   I don't see a linked
review on gerrit though. Have you not yet posted it?

Dan

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Debojyoti Dutta <ddutta at gmail.com> wrote:

> In fact this points to the fact that we need a Geekbench equivalent for
> openstack so that folks can submit performance numbers for their scaled
> setups.
>
> For starters, we could have simple metrics like the test here (for
> quantum) and repeat this for nova too (for starting a bunch of VMs).
>
> The submitted numbers will also be a metric for new fixes/features which
> might have performance sideeffects
>
> debo
>

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Edgar Magana (eperdomo) <
> eperdomo at cisco.com> wrote:
>
>>  Team,
>>
>>  We ran a comparative tests between current Quantum code and our
>> proposed fix for this bug and the results are incredible, in current
>> quantum code it takes around 4-5 seconds to create a network when already
>> have over 600 networks created and almost 7 second when we have over 1K
>> networks. See this log:
>>
>>  Tue Nov  6 23:39:52 PST 2012
>> Created a new network:
>> +---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>> | Field                     | Value                                |
>> +---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>> | admin_state_up            | True                                 |
>> | id                        | e87b2f27-9308-4001-b180-228ff5ab6479 |
>> | name                      | net621                               |
>> | provider:network_type     | local                                |
>> | provider:physical_network |                                      |
>> | provider:segmentation_id  |                                      |
>> | router:external           | False                                |
>> | shared                    | False                                |
>> | status                    | ACTIVE                               |
>> | subnets                   |                                      |
>> | tenant_id                 | b248e18b173b4ea99873e102a0715dcd     |
>> +---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>> Tue Nov  6 23:39:57 PST 2012
>>  ++++
>>  Wed Nov  7 00:17:46 PST 2012
>> Created a new network:
>> +---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>> | Field                     | Value                                |
>> +---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>> | admin_state_up            | True                                 |
>> | id                        | 2138b910-8996-40b7-a9b4-ac090e126a2b |
>> | name                      | net1032                              |
>> | provider:network_type     | local                                |
>> | provider:physical_network |                                      |
>> | provider:segmentation_id  |                                      |
>> | router:external           | False                                |
>> | shared                    | False                                |
> [...]

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt