[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Nov 7 17:04:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Incubation is currently an OpenStack project status that grants a
> promising project more access to OpenStack shared resources, especially
> in the CI, release management and QA space. That status lets the
> promising project prove that it is ready to join other official
> OpenStack core projects for the next full development cycle.
>
> In the past governance the Project Policy Board was the only decider on
> Incubation and Core inclusion. With the new governance, the Technical
> Committee is still the only decider on Incubation status and still
> proposes projects for Core inclusion, but the Board of Directors has the
> possibility to veto that Core inclusion.
>
> This creates an awkward process where a project could go all the way
> through Incubation and be denied Core inclusion at the end of that
> process, basically wasting OpenStack resources. We need to evolve the
> Incubation process so that the question of whether a project belongs in
> "Core" is fully resolved as early as possible. And define how a project
> can enter, grow or exit the incubation process.
>
> This also raises the question of whether "Core" should really be the
> only destination of an Incubated project. Which triggers the very
> question of what OpenStack Core actually is. For some it's the
> collection of OpenStack projects that work well and complement each
> other, for others Core should only include the IaaS pieces, for others
> they should represent the bare minimum you need to implement to be able
> to be called an "OpenStack Cloud"...

It would be healthy to allow the scope of projects managed by the
foundation to evolve over time to be broader than IaaS components. If we
need to define "OpenStack Cloud" for brand management, we should be
thinking about it at the different levels of the stack. There could be a
separate set of "core" projects for IaaS and PaaS, for example.

> Once "Core" is defined we can evaluate the need for a category that
> would still be in "OpenStack" but not have the "Core" label on it.
> Incubation could then lead two ways.

It seems like we want a "supported" category for projects the TC feels are
worth spending foundation resources on but the BoD does not want to include
in "core" and require that deployers use them to be able to claim they are
an "OpenStack Cloud" as you mention above. So projects would start out in
the community, move to "incubated" and then to "supported" after the
incubation period is up. They could apply separately for "core" status,
after being declared "supported" by the TC.

Doug