[openstack-dev] [Quantum/Nova] Improving VIF plugin

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 16:44:42 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 10:24 AM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
> [...]
>>> think Kyle has a good point that this information should be per-port,
>>> not per-network, as in some cases there will be port-specific parameter
>>> that needs to be passed into the vif driver. The trade-off here is that
>>> instead of 1 call per network there will be 1 call per port. The
>>> /port/<port-id>/binding syntax in theory also allows for retrieving
>>> logical port and binding info in one call.
>>>
>>> Those APIs can easily be structured as admin-only; however we need to
>>> keep in mind that at the moment nova-quantum interaction is performed
>>> within the tenant context. We can either change this logic and say that
>>> Nova wil always have admin access to Quantum, or that we use an elevated
>>> context only for fetching port binding details. To this aim I would
>>> think about adding a "service" role to Quantum, which should be used
>>> specifically for retrieving binding details.
>>
>> This makes sense to me.
>>

>>> However, I am now reading that there might be use cases in which nova
>>> pushes into back into Quantum concerning the way a VIF has been plugged.
>>> I am failing at envisioning such use case, and it would be great if you
>>> could shed some light on it. I am interested in this because one of
>>> Quantum's goals was to provide a clean separation between compute and
>>> networking services. It seems that entanglement between the two it's now
>>> crawling back. Personally, I would let Quantum figure out binding
>>> information once the VIF is plugged, and keep the VIF plugging API as
>>> GET only.
>>
>> It seems to me that Quantum might need certain information about the VIF
>> being plugged into the port to decide the details of the binding, at
>> least in more complex deployments with multiple networking technologies
>> and non-uniform connectivity.
>>
>> One such item is a node identifier. This would let Quantum potentially
>> figure out whether/how that node has connectivity to the port's network.
>> For example, if the node does not have a mapping for the physical
>> network of a provider flat network or VLAN, this could be detected, and
>> the VIF plugging could fail gracefully rather than the current situation
>> where the VM comes up but does not have connectivity.
>>
>> Another such item is a list of VIF types that the VM can support. For
>> example, if the Nova libvirt driver indicates that both OVS and Linux
>> bridge VIF types are supported, then Quantum could select which to use.
>> Otherwise, it seems we are somehow either hard-wiring or configuring
>> Nova to know which type of bridge Quantum wants it to use.
>>
> Just a note, but won't this already be decided by the time the port is being plugged in? For instance, with the libvirt driver, the XML itself will indicate why type of VIF is in use, and by the time the port is being plugged in, that won't be configurable. Are you saying that before the VM is even built we somehow let Quantum influence how the XML is built for the VM definition?

I have been thinking this interaction would occur before the libvirt XML
is created (when using libvirt). Letting Quantum influence the libvirt
XML (rather than having this hard-coded or configured in Nova) was the
main point of Gary's proposal (correct me if I'm wrong, Gary). But I'm
not suggesting that Quantum know anything about libvirt or any specific
hypervisor - these VIF types would be defined generically.