[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Advanced service insertion

Sumit Naiksatam sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 06:59:23 UTC 2012

Thanks Salvatore for your response.

It seems to me that in addition to the notion of a service/type, it might
be helpful to have a notion of a logical "service insertion point".

A logical insertion point could be a Quantum network, port, subnet, or a
router (at the L2 boundary).

The services can then be associated with this logical insertion point. By
doing this we could potentially get away from the complexities of modeling
for the various different types of services (and their variations in terms
of insertion). Note that this last assertion (and the suggestion in
general) is in the context of framing a tenant (end-user) API and model
that is simple to use and yet rich enough to cater to different types of
services.

The actual insertion of the service may be simple or complicated depending
on the nature of the service, the logical point of insertion, and the
deployment infrastructure. However, this would have to be dealt with by the
service provider (the Quantum backend supporting this deployment), not the
end-user.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
~Sumit.