[openstack-dev] Asynchronous logging

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Mon Nov 5 21:03:59 UTC 2012

> I'm curious what led you to making this change in the first place. Did
> you observe a problem or was it more theoretical?

Asynchonous logging is a common pattern because logging is a relatively frequent and slow operation. It blocks a lot, which makes it a good candidate for being more friendly with eventlet.

Here are the results of timing devstack's exercise.sh with logging_async=True versus False.

-----------------------------
SYNC logging
-----------------------------

sync#1real    4m16.933s
user    0m47.031s
sys     0m13.229s

sync#2:
real    3m4.645s
user    0m36.558s
sys     0m10.129s

sync#3:
real    3m9.707s
user    0m37.582s
sys     0m10.965s

-----------------------------
ASYNC logging
-----------------------------

async#1
real    3m6.595s

async #2
real    2m29.525s
user    0m30.042s
sys     0m10.037s

async #3
real    1m36.233s
user    0m26.914s
sys     0m8.109s

async #4  (because the time went down on the third test, I ran a 4th…)
real    1m35.997s
user    0m27.046s
sys     0m8.085s

Regards,