[openstack-dev] Image caching hash verifications??

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Sat Nov 3 02:47:41 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was looking at the image cache code and since we are hitting hashing taking up the whole nova-compute process I had a few questions.

Is it meant for the image cache process to run inside nova-compute, the fact that it does by default seems rather odd (since anyone having large image files will be hit when a sha1 of that whole file happens, this will most likely stop that nova-compute instance from responding until its done). This then happens every X 'ticks', which means if that tick count isn't set 'smartly' u basically end up turning nova-compute into a 'hash calculation engine' (for lack of better words).

Should that cache process be run out of process? I think it might have been like this a while ago (I think I remember seeing a separate binary, but don't see one now, any reason for that?)

Anyways if others are hitting this, the following might help: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/15328

Feedback welcome.

-Josh