[openstack-dev] Some idea on device assignment support

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Fri Nov 2 13:14:08 UTC 2012

On 2 November 2012 06:22, Jiang, Yunhong <yunhong.jiang at intel.com> wrote:
>> You could add specifications on the image ('I only support directmap devices of
>> type <X>'; 'I am an image that requires a directmap device and will not run
>> without'); on the flavour ('you pay this much and I will give you a directmap
>> device'); or in the boot call ('Give this image a directmap device', 'use a
>> directmap device for this network').
>
> Yes, image is another place to get such information. But I'm not sure what's the boot call? Will it be in guest?

I mean e.g.

nova boot x --and-i-want-a-passthrough-device

(which is something I think you'd already covered anyway)

> Can you share me more information on the "libvirt resource restrictions"?

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14151/ - my argument on that patch
amounts to 'if you want a hypervisor to do something special for you,
first you should check that it can' - which seems directly related to
what we're discussing here.