[openstack-dev] Specifying Tenant-ID in Openstack REST API URLs and Quatum 2.0 APIs

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Thu Nov 1 20:15:41 UTC 2012

You're right in that there exists an association between a request and a tenant -- but that's not the defining relationship. A tenant is at it's core simply a container that holds a collection of resources.  That's why it makes sense to be in a URI.  The idea is to allow a way of organizing resources  as a means of providing an abstraction between the OpenStack implementation and someone who is operating an OpenStack deployment (the operator).

An operator may map one or more tenants to a project, an account, an identity, a customer, whatever.

Now a request may have permission to access one or more tenants -- and I think that's where a lot of the confusion lies.

I did a writeup for this a bit back you can find it here: https://github.com/RackerWilliams/multi-tenant-accounting/blob/master/tenants.pdf

-jOrGe W.