[openstack-dev] [nova] blueprints / todos out of nova api consistency design session

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 1 15:10:39 UTC 2012

Going back through the nova-api-consistency session
(https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-nova-api) I think I've extracted
all the actions out of it that we need to tackle. Wanted to float this
past the list (and the same for relevant nova and qa meetings later
today) to sanity check with the rest of the community.

Blueprint: apis-for-nova-manage
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/apis-for-nova-manage).
Already in progress by cyeoh and others. This helps deal with one of the
big API holes in nova.

TODO (Blueprint?): automated way to sync nova sample api tests to
api.openstack.org. Does the doc team use blueprints? Mauro, Anne, and I
discussed this the other day, Mauro's going to propose some approaches.

Blueprint: nova-v3-api - create a blueprint for the nova v3 api, and
equivalent wiki page describing that nova-v3 is expected to be return
code consistency cleanup, ordering and pagination cleanups relative to
Gabe's overall API consistency effort, and the promotion of a couple
critical extensions. We'll hash out details in the wiki. Additionally a
set of tags for bugs: v2-api-bug, v2-api-inconsitency, v2-api-missing
for things that need to be address in a v3 api.

TODO (Blueprint?): nova-api audit - go through the existing nova API
with a fine toothed comb and figure out the various return usage today,
and expose more of the inconsistencies we find. The output of this is
additional unit tests and bugs for fix in v3 api. It's a big chunk of
work, but not a big chunk of code, so is blueprint the right artifact
for this?

TODO (Blueprint?): get expected error codes as part of the
api.openstack.org site. Requires enhancing the mavin plugin that
generates that site. Working with Anne on the approach now.

TODO (Blueprint?): wiki guide for API writers on guidelines for creating
new APIs (for nova, especially extensions). This will clearly need to be
done in very close contact with Gabe when he kicks off the overall API
consistency work. Expect this is probably really a sub task of that work.

Comments and critiques welcomed,

	-Sean

(p.s. possible dup, but our mail system seems to have not gotten the
first one out to the list yet)1

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center