[openstack-dev] [CI] Changes to testing dependent patch series

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jul 31 20:51:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

We recently made a change to Zuul regarding how it handles testing and
merging changes in dependent patch series.  If a change (B) depends on
change (A) which hasn't merged yet, and someone approves (B), Zuul will
no longer immediately start testing (B).  Instead, Zuul will wait for
change (A) to be approved, and then start testing them both, and merge
them in order ((B) will still only merge if (A) merges).

In other words, Zuul pays attention to change dependencies in Gerrit.

This should mean that we will avoid having changes sitting around in the
"Submitted (Merge Pending)" state in the future.  But if you approve a
change, and just hear silence from Jenkins, this is probably why.  If
that happens, see if the change depends on a change that hasn't been
approved yet.

If that's not the case, whoops.  Please let us know.

I'd like to extend a special thanks to Doug Hellman for volunteering a
live test case for this new feature, almost immediately after it was
rolled out!

-Jim