[openstack-dev] [common] moving manager.py and service.py into common

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:28:28 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 07:30 AM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 27/07/12 11:22 -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
<snip>

>> ++
>>
>> less copy/paste the better.
>>
>> I'd also love to see standardization around the binding of services to
>> sockets. In Nova-land, each service has its own nova.conf value -- for
>> example, there is a host/port pair for each of nova-os-api,
>> nova-ec2-api, nova-metadata-api, etc: (see [1])
>>
>> osapi_compute_listen=0.0.0.0
>> osapi_compute_listen_port=8774
>> ec2_listen=0.0.0.0
>> ec2_listen_port=8773
>> metadata_listen=0.0.0.0
>> metadata_listen_port=8775
>>
>> There are also nova.conf options that duplicate the above (not sure if
>> these even are used any more...):
>>
>> ec2_host=$my_ip
>> ec2_port=8773
>> metadata_host=$my_ip
>> metadata_port=8775
>>
>> as well as this pair for the nova-objectstore service:
>>
>> s3_host=$my_ip
>> s3_port=3333
>>
>> In every other core project -- Glance, Swift, Keystone, Cinder and
>> Quantum -- only the following options are used:
>>
>> bind_host=0.0.0.0
>> bind_port=XXXX
>>
>> and each service has its own paste deploy INI file and configuration
>> file containing the bind_host/bind_port options for the particular
>> service.
>>
>> I would love it if Nova could standardize on using bind_host/bind_port
>> for all of its services that listen on TCP sockets as well. That way, we
>> can put the get_socket() call that originated in Swift and exists in
>> Glance as well, into a openstack.common.wsgi module.
>
> I have posted the openstack-common patches for review and when that's
> done I'll post the nova ones (https://github.com/asalkeld/nova/commits/).

Yep, getting through the openstack-common reviews now. Thanks!

> I have left WSGIService in nova for the moment. I'd like to seperate
> the two issues if possible. There is quite a bit of work to do in
> comming up with a common wsgi module - there are at least 4 of them
> in the different projects.

Understood. I've gone through the code before and understand it's sinkholes.

> Are you sure user's will be ok with having the config files changed like
> this?

Definitely something to bring up in a separate thread I think. AFAICT,
this would only affect Nova deployments -- it would align Nova with the
other core projects in terms of bind host/port configuration and having
separate configuration files per service daemon.

Feel free to make a separate mailing list post to that effect so it
doesn't get lost in this thread :)

Best,
-jay