[openstack-dev] [Netstack] [Quantum] plugin -> backend

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Jul 31 06:45:35 UTC 2012

Yes, we've had this discussion many times :)  I agree that people find the
term "plugin" confusing, but each time we've talked about it, we've failed
to find a single term that is substantially better to warrant the confusion
likely to be caused by renaming.

In some cases I've started using the term "engine" when describing the
plugin concept to people, since its really about a "pluggable backend" that
powers the generic quantum API layer.  The name "driver" was very
intentionally not chosen, as driver implies that it is specific to a
particular type of back-end device, whereas a Quantum plugin is really more
about an overall strategy of creating logical networks, etc.  For example,
you could have a generic VLAN plugin that has drivers to talk to many
different types of switches.

Dan

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com