[openstack-dev] Contributing to OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:18:03 UTC 2012

On 07/27/2012 08:41 AM, Aayush Upadhyay wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> My name's Aayush and I'm a rising junior in college. I took courses in networks and databases last term and really liked both, and after hearing about OpenStack, I really want to contribute code to the project and learn more about the system. I figured reading through the code and running it in a debugger would be great to understand how it works, but before that, are there any suggestions you guys have about the prerequisite knowledge required to make contributions? I'm referring to books/papers that it would be good to read to understand what OpenStack does at a theoretical level before actually jumping in and trying to add code.

Hi Aayush, welcome to the OpenStack community :) Glad to hear you are
interested in the project.

Unfortunately, perusing the code really is the best way to understand
the projects. That said, if you just start reading the code, picking
random directories in Nova, you'll get lost very quickly.

I suggest that you pick a particular area of most interest to you and
ask for help on IRC (see below) and folks will be happy to point you to
the right locations in the code.

There is some decent developer documentation on the docs.openstack.org
site as well, though sometimes it can be outdated:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/

> Sorry if this is the wrong place, and thanks in advance for your help.

Nope, absolutely this is a good place to ask. Also, IRC freenode.net
#openstack-dev is a good channel to find help and ask dev questions.

Best,
-jay