[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Announcing proof-of-concept Load Balancing as a Service project

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Jul 26 01:30:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Youcef Laribi
<Youcef.Laribi at eu.citrix.com>wrote:

> I  also want to point the community to the Atlas project which is still
> ongoing, and the code base is available on github at:
>
> http://github.com/openstack-atlas/atlas-lb
>
> This is based on the original code contributed by Rackspace more than a
> year ago, from their Cloud LoadBalancers Service and since then it has been
> evolved to support multiple adapters (or "drivers"). The next big thing for
> the project is integration with Quantum and Nova, so would love to see a
> common approach to this integration.

Hi Youcef,

Yes, we recognize the efforts of the existing Atlas contributors and I
definitely want to make sure the atlas folks play a key role in figuring
out how LBaaS works in OpenStack moving forward.  I get asked about LBaaS
fairly often, and I've always been a bit fuzzy on what to do about Atlas
for two reasons: 1) L4-L7 services are generally within the scope of what
Quantum expects to cover and 2) its java-based, and core projects like
Quantum are required to use python.  I'm hoping the efforts of Eugene and
others is a first step in helping move existing Atlas functionality and
team members into a more permanent home as part of a core OpenStack
project.  As I mentioned, my feeling is that LBaaS makes sense as a fairly
independent sub-component of the Quantum project, but ultimately, such
questions are determined by the PPB.

Dan

> Regards,
> Youcef