[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Agents and configuration files

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 13:33:46 UTC 2012

Hey,

Chatting to Gary on IRC, I was saying what makes most sense to me is to
give users/distributors the choice of configuring everything in
quantum.conf i.e.

  /etc/quantum/quantum.conf:
    [DEFAULT]
    plugin = linuxbridge

    [linuxbridge]
    foo = bar

    [ovs]
    foobar = blaa

or keeping plugin configuration in separate files:

  /etc/quantum/quantum.conf:
    [DEFAULT]
    plugin = linuxbridge

  /etc/quantum/plugins.d/linuxbridge.conf:
    [linuxbridge]
    foo = bar

  /etc/quantum/plugins.d/ovs.conf:
    [ovs]
    foobar = blaa

Basically, quantum would default to:

  --config-file=/etc/quantum.conf --config-file=/etc/quantum/quantum.conf --config-dir=/etc/quantum/plugins.d

and all configuration options would be registered with the global CONF
object - so e.g. a value set in a .conf file in plugins.d take
precedence over anything set in quantum.conf.

This also has the advantage of being very easily supported by cfg :)

Cheers,
Mark.