[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Agents and configuration files

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 06:17:08 UTC 2012

Hi,

*Background*: The quantum service makes use of the configuration file
quantum.conf. In addition to this there is a common configuration file
shared between the plugin and the agent (plugin.ini). The aforementioned
files are loaded by the common configuration files.

*Current developments*: A number of current developments, for example
notifications (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9835/) and scalable
agents (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9591/) require RPC configurations.

 From the discussion last night the community the consensus is to have
the common configuration items that may be relevant to one or more
agent/plugin in the quantum configuration file. This change will require
the agents to also load the quantum.conf configuration files.

*Open issues*:
1. I do not think that the common configuration supports mapping of name
spaces to configuration files.
2. Configuration file loading. With the plugins the configuration files
are loaded in two stages. If possible it would be great that the files
could be loaded at once - this can be done by listing the plugin/agent
ini file(s) in the quantum.conf. When this is loaded then the other
files will be loaded.

Please let me know if you have any comments or objections. I would like
to move ahead and start to work on this.

Thanks
Gary