[openstack-dev] Volume with ZVol : opinion on code

Nicolas de BONFILS openstack at nicolas2bonfils.com
Fri Jul 20 18:07:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

Following my ideas about using ZFS (ZVol) instead of LVM for the volume
(https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg13009.html). I write a piece
of code : in attachment or on github/nicolas2bonfils
<https://github.com/nicolas2bonfils/cinder/blob/master/cinder/volume/driver_zvol.py>
(for line comments or push request).
I write and test the code with ZFSOnLinux <http://zfsonlinux.org/> and
Debian sid.

What it does :

  * create ZVol instead of LVM,
  * use ISCSI sharing from the existing cinder driver,
  * use ZFS snapshot for the snapshot feature,
  * is working for create/delete volume,
  * can create/delete native ZFS snapshot (see below for the linked
    problem).

What need to be improve :

  * check if native ZFS snapshot can be use for volume snapshot (same
    use/meaning ?),
  * when deleting a volume with snapshot (ZFS one), do we delete the
    derived snapshot or export them as independent volume.

What it does not (yet) :

  * share with native ZFS ISCSI (due to ZFSOnLinux limitation)

Thanks for all your ideas, advice, ...

--- Nicolas de Bonfils