[openstack-dev] Communication between VMs in different VLans.

Rahul Upadhyaya rakrup at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:49:56 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I am new to openstack. I was trying to create VMs using the VLAN Mode of
Networking in openstack. After successfully creating VMs, I was verifying
the setup by checking communication between various VLans and Vms created
by different users and projects.I wanted to verify about a few
default behaviors.

1) I created Different networks, each with a unique VLAN IDs. I provisioned
VMs on to each of the networks. Also, I have only one secgroup "defult"
listed which does not have any rules in it. My VMs(in different VLAN
networks) are able to ping each other in this setup. Is is a
expected behavior?

2) Also, I tried out creating VMs from another User and Project. So, even
the VMs created by new User and Project are able to ping VMs created by old
user  and project. Is this expected behavior?

My understanding from the documentation on openstack wiki is that, only
once a rule chain is added in the sec-group is when the VMs should be able
to communicate over that protocol.Also, VMs created in different projects
should not be able to communicate among themselves by default. Please
correct me if my understanding is wrong

--
Regards,
Rahul