[openstack-dev] Client Libraries and --os- command proliferation.

Chmouel Boudjnah chmouel at chmouel.com
Thu Dec 20 20:23:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

It seems that the client libraries are getting more and more of those
--os-* commands, there is currently 11 of them in swiftclient and it seems
that they keep coming.

On swiftclient and glanceclient (and maybe others) we are most of the time
just taking those command line options and passing it directly to the
keystoneclient library.

When someone needs to add an option it has to go to all the clients
libraries and add that option when effectively this is something that can
be handled directly by keystoneclient[1].

We could have all those environment variables and everything that start by
--os- goes to keystoneclient and for the help having a single
--os-commands-help which is passed and handled by keystoneclient as well.

Some people like more command line options some people prefer environement
variables,  personalyl I think it would be nice to have a configuration
file like the .myrc in mysql.

Let me know what do you think.

Chmouel.

[1] Ideally all clients libraries should use keystoneclient, I have started
to do some works to have cinderclient using keystoneclient instead of
reimplementing the full thing here :
https://github.com/chmouel/python-cinderclient/tree/keystoneclient but i
haven't took the time to properly finish it.