[openstack-dev] A question about selecting host

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:24:30 UTC 2012

It is managed by the scheduler. Admins can force a specific host by passing in availabilty zone like so:

nova boot --availability_zone nova:HOST

where HOST is the name of the host that you want it to boot on. Note that this will skip the scheduler altogether so it is possible to overallocate a host this way.

or an example post in json:

{
    "server" : {
        "name" : "new-server-test",
        "imageRef" : "70a599e0-31e7-49b7-b260-868f441e862b",
        "flavorRef" : "1",
        "availability_zone": "nova:HOST",
    }
}