[openstack-dev] Novaclient and Extensions

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:11:23 UTC 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Thomas Duesing <thomas.duesing at RACKSPACE.COM> wrote:

> Product guy here.  Long time listener, first time caller.
>
> I am all for splitting the extensions out of core novaclient.  The problem I see now is the extra functionality in novaclient that we don't expose to our customers - mostly the admin stuff.  Seeing extra functionality is confusing to our customers, especially since there's no obvious way to tell which novaclient commands work in our environment and which don't.

I have a thought for this. Essentially we can modify the /extensions endpoint to do a policy check and only show the extensions that the current credentials can see. If we combine that with the method of only showing help for extensions that are installed on the other end, then I think we improve this user experience a lot. If you call nova --help with admin credentials then you see all of the admin commmands and with user credentials they are hidden.

Vish