[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer]Ceilometer in Horizon

Nicolas Barcet nicolas at barcet.com
Wed Dec 19 14:35:45 UTC 2012

Hello Brooklyn,

I would think that you should first implement this in a structured text
form, then work on with some js graph library to transform the text into a
graph if possible afterward, possibly allowing user to switch from one to
the other.  This would limit the dependencies on the server side and allow
for greater flexibility for user tweaking on the representation without
touching the server side.

Nick

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Brooklyn Chen <yuanotes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am new to ceilometer and I have some experiences in developing Horizon.
> This is a discussion about how to put ceilometer data in Hoirzon.
>
> !!UX experts are needed to help!!
>
> Related blueprints:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.**net/horizon/+spec/ceilometer<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/ceilometer>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.**net/ceilometer/+spec/horizon-**plugin<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/horizon-plugin>
>
> I'd like to implement these blueprints(it's the same) to add ceilometer in
> Horizon. And there are some designing issues need to be addressed.
>
> 1. Displaying data
> There are 3 kinds of data:
>
> |    Type    |                  Definition                  |
> |------------|----------------**------------------------------**|
> | Cumulative | Increasing over time (instance hours)        |
> |------------|----------------**------------------------------**|
> | Gauge      | Discrete items (floating IPs, image uploads) |
> |            | and fluctuating values (disk I/O)            |
> |------------|----------------**------------------------------**|
> | Delta      | Changing over time (bandwidth)               |
>
> Shall we use chart or just table to show these data?
> Table view is easy to implement but it's not intuitive.
>
> 2. Where to put these data
> As you may know, these data are collected from openstack resources, such
> as instances, floating ip, vcpu hours, object store... (detail:
> http://docs.openstack.org/**developer/ceilometer/**measurements.html<http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/measurements.html>
> )
>
> Shall we put these data on a new panel? Or in the Overview panel?
>

> 3. User Console and Admin Console
> If we put these data in admin console of Horizon, we need some mechanism
> to select user and tenant to filter resources.
>

> Many thanks!
>
> Brooklyn

Nicolas Barcet <nicolas at barcet.com>
a.k.a. nijaba, nick