[openstack-dev] Motion to clarify Python Support policy

Sascha Peilicke saschpe at suse.de
Wed Dec 19 09:34:28 UTC 2012

On 12/18/2012 09:52 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> The last time we stated a policy on platforms that we as a project would
> officially care about it was:
>
> "Current Ubuntu"
>
> This is clearly not indicative of reality, as we have active community
> around RedHat, and I'm guessing there are plenty of Ubuntu folks who
> would like it if OpenStack ran on Precise. Still, there is a value in
> having a limited scope for development focus, and the distros have
> stepped up to ease the backport story.
>
> Additionally, since we dropped packages in favor of PyPI as a source of
> dependencies, the question of distro _directly_ isn't nearly as
> important as the question of python version.
Maybe I missed an important discussion elsewhere, can you clarify the
context in which packages where dropped?

> With that in mind, I propose that we amend the current policy to be:
>
> OpenStack will target its development efforts to latest Ubuntu/Fedora,
> but will endeavor to not introduce any changes that would make it
> impossibly or unnaturally difficult to run on the latest Ubuntu LTS or
> latest RHEL.

I wonder if it would make sense to generalize this statement even
further. Even though both the Red Hat and Canonical folks represent a
large fraction of the community, there are contributions from other
distributions that surely deserve to be mentioned.

For instance, with my SUSE employee hat on, I would like to read:

  "...run on the latest Ubuntu LTS, latest RHEL or SLES"

And with my community hat on, maybe it's even preferable to have at least:

  "...run on the latest release of any other Linux distribution"

While I am aware that currently, gating and testing happens mostly on
Ubuntu boxes and it makes a lot of sense to concentrate efforts, the
above statement should be as inclusive as possible. The OpenStack
community spans across the whole distribution ecosystem and that should
be honored somehow.

> At the moment, this means absolutely no change - we will continue to
> support python 2.6 and python 2.7.
That's much appreciated.