[openstack-dev] Motion to clarify Python Support policy

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Dec 18 20:52:20 UTC 2012

The last time we stated a policy on platforms that we as a project would
officially care about it was:

"Current Ubuntu"

This is clearly not indicative of reality, as we have active community
around RedHat, and I'm guessing there are plenty of Ubuntu folks who
would like it if OpenStack ran on Precise. Still, there is a value in
having a limited scope for development focus, and the distros have
stepped up to ease the backport story.

Additionally, since we dropped packages in favor of PyPI as a source of
dependencies, the question of distro _directly_ isn't nearly as
important as the question of python version.

With that in mind, I propose that we amend the current policy to be:

OpenStack will target its development efforts to latest Ubuntu/Fedora,
but will endeavor to not introduce any changes that would make it
impossibly or unnaturally difficult to run on the latest Ubuntu LTS or
latest RHEL.

At the moment, this means absolutely no change - we will continue to
support python 2.6 and python 2.7.

Based on discussion of this motion, we'll bring this up at the next TC
meeting for a vote.

Monty