[openstack-dev] Booting multiple instances with block device mapping

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:47:58 UTC 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 8:41 AM, "Karajgi, Rohit" <Rohit.Karajgi at nttdata.com> wrote:

> Currently I don’t think there is any logic to map a list of block device mappings to multiple instances if the count is > 1.
> For eg: If a user requests to create 3 instances and passes 3 volumes to be booted from, should there be a 1:1 mapping
> between the instance list and the volume list?

I don't think we should support multiple boot from volumes. If someone needs to specify a different volume for each instance they should launch each request separately. If you are referring to booting from a snapshot, I believe the code in manager updates the block device mapping for each instance when it creates the volume.

Vish