[openstack-dev] Questions about development

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 18 08:56:14 UTC 2012

JiaXiang Liu wrote:
> I studied and learned the OpenStack Community. I know how to find a
> bug, report a functional requirement,and how to contribute code from the
> OpenStack community website,.
>
> However, I did not find the release plan.
>
> I also do not quite understand, whether there is a sub project? Is there are
> todo list in a project?
>
> What feature or component should be integrated in the next version? I
> think this is meanful. It is good for a developer like me or a company
> to find a interested aspect and do some contribution.

The release cycle is described here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/ReleaseCycle

You can find the schedule at:
http://wiki.openstack.org/GrizzlyReleaseSchedule

And we track the set of blueprints in the current cycle at:
http://wiki.openstack.org/releasestatus/

All those pages are linked from the main page at wiki.openstack.org.

> Is there any long-term plans in the development? For example,reduce power
> consumption and other problems like this.

We could do a better job at tracking long-term goals: blueprints do not
seem to be the best tool for the job. All PTLs have a pretty good idea
of where they are headed, but documenting long-term plans sounds like a
good idea. So far we've been running with urgencies, but I think we are
reaching a plateau where documenting those long-term plans makes more
sense. My suggestion would be to do that on the main project pages on
the wiki (like http://wiki.openstack.org/Nova).

> In addition, the blueprint for the feature and bug description is very
> simple. I even do not what is really mean. How to solve this problem?

PTLs could require a bit more documentation in the blueprints that
people submit, some project already do.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack