[openstack-dev] oslo library version summary

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 23:29:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-16 at 00:02 -0800, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> ttx, markmc and I synced up on the versioning of oslo libraries, and
> have settled on a system which is a superset of what we do with client
> libraries - which means we can just implement an additional feature in
> the current code and it'll handle both sets of things. We'll sync up
> later on to discuss applicability of this to the server projects as well.
>
> Essentially, it breaks down like this:
>
> A tag to the repo will trigger tarball generation.
>
> If the tag contains alpha\d*, beta\d* or rc\d*, the tarball will only be
> uploaded to tarballs.openstack.org. This will allow those pre-releases
> to be used in the other projects.
>
> Otherwise, the tarball will be uploaded to tarballs.o.o AND PyPI. This
> should allow us to use released versions of oslo libraries in pip-requires.
>
> Turns out it's easy to implement:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18171/
>
> As soon as that lands, we should be able to handle the oslo requirements.

Thanks for that.

I've pushed another test repo here:

  https://github.com/markmc/oslo-config

It now includes all the history of cfg changes as James suggested.

More importantly, I've included the setuptools magic from oslo-incubator
so that it will be versioned correctly when we push a tag. I've added
that code under the magic/ directory so that it won't actually get
installed with oslo.config. Could you check that what I've done is
reasonable? It seems to work ...

Cheers,
Mark.