[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] The purpose of the "source" in counter and meter

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Dec 17 10:42:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17 2012, Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

> 	I'm wondering what's the exact meaning of the "source" in the
> 	Counter/Meter and hope to get idea of the original design.
> 	Currently the source is set by central/compute manager and
> 	collector service according to cfg.CONF.counter_source, which is
> 	'openstack' by default now. How will such information be
> 	utilized? What's the supposed configuration of the
> 	counter_source? I checked the API and the storage
> 	implementation, and didn't find any hints on how are the source
> 	utilized, or why user want to query
> 	/v1/sources/(source)/projects or /v1/sources/(source)/meters.
>
> 	IMHO, does it make sense to make the source as part of the
> 	counter, and pollster/notification handle decide the value? And
> 	instead of configurable, it can be fixed as "nova", "swift" etc.
> 	After all, it's counter_source, and should be counter specific.

This is meant to be a value up to the deployer, that indicates by which
source the meter has been emitted. This is particularly useful when you
want to distinguish several OpenStack installation, or different kind of
platforms (PaaS, SaaS…) that are also metered by ceilometer.
The API allows then to get sources information the deployer set up, via
the request /sources/<source>. The information set up at this endpoint
are any kind of JSON format, Ceilometer just pass them through and
doesn't care what the format is, since it has no used itself of this
information.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker & freelance