[openstack-dev] [Nova] High priority bugs preventing full Tempest gate

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:56:24 UTC 2012

Hi Vish,

The QA team was hoping to focus the Nova core members' attention to a
few bugs in Nova that are causing failures in the full Tempest run --
currently gating only the Tempest project trees, but intended to gate
Nova, Glance, Keystone, Quantum and Cinder in the future.

The first bug has not been prioritized yet, but we hope it can be, and
some nova-core resources need to be assigned to identify the source
(race condition?) of the failures:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1079687

Unfortunately, the above bug will be masked by the following bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1088584

Which started to create failing tests after the recent minidns changes
were merged into nova trunk. Dan Prince (cc'd) is assigned to this
particular bug, however it is worth noting the commentary between Attila
(also cc'd) and Dan regarding how to solve the bug as well as a
fundamental issue that the QA team has been struggling with in creating
tests for the various Compute API extensions and some of the
undocumented "features" of the API.

To take the example from the bug 1088584 above, Attila is alluding to
the fact that a couple of the DNS drivers (minidns and ldapdns) validate
unique hostnames (as they should), but the drivers are being supplied
the instance's *name* attribute as the hostname attribute, and Attila
could find no documentation that the name and hostname attributes of the
instance had any relation to each other.

I think that in the Grizzly timeframe, it would be great if we can get
the core docs team to work with the nova-core team to get much more
verbose and accurate documentation about things like this -- otherwise,
it is virtually impossible for the QA team to write tests, since they
have no idea what the expected output is of some of these calls.

Please let us know if you would be able to prioritize the above bugs in
the next couple weeks and work with us to get the full Tempest run
gating Nova as soon as possible.

All the best,
-jay and the QA team