[openstack-dev] Managing endpoints for multiple regions for a service

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:03:21 UTC 2012

On 12/11/2012 01:14 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great question, and one I've recently wondered as well. One thing that
>> is problematic is the usage of "region" and "availability zone" to mean
>> essentially the exact same thing.
>>
>> Unless I'm mistaken, in which case, please do correct me!
>
> az are groupings within a single endpoint. Regions are completely separate endpoints that may contain azs.

OK, understood, in the sense of Amazon AZs versus Amazon Regions [1]

The issue I have is what exactly the OS_REGION_NAME is used for, then,
in the the client configurations? [2] If you are connecting to an
endpoint, according to you above, that endpoint is only in a single
region ever, so what is the purpose of supplying a OS_REGION_NAME if you
already know the endpoint you are connecting to and thus the "region" it
is in?

-jay

[1]
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-regions-availability-zones.html