[openstack-dev] extracting nbd support to an oslo module?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 11:53:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 11:36 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:22:50PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Robert Collins wrote:
> > > I'd like to be able to nbd from Python for part of diskimage-builder,
> > > and the needed code for that is neatly in nova; but installing nova on
> > > sysadmin workstations just to get at that code is a little... ugly.
> > >
> > > Would there be any objections to moving the nbd code to an oslo
> > > module, and if not, whats the process for that? [possibly more than
> > > the nbd code - basically enough to get qcow2 images mounted :)].
> >
> > I'll let markmc reply on that, but oslo tends to be oriented towards
> > reusing common code between openstack core projects, not to extract
> > generally reusable pieces of code out of core projects for potential
> > reuse elsewhere... I feel like it's a slippery slope that could make us
> > lose our focus.
>
> It also implies that you'd need to make promises about API stability
> in Oslo. As long as Oslo is only intended for use by core projects,
> can we make API changes in Olso & update all core projects to match.
> Once you have users outside of the project, then we get locked into
> supporting those APIs unchanged.

To be clear, Oslo's API stability commitment is that an API may be
deprecated in release N, maintained in N+1 and removed in N+2. This is
so we don't force all projects to be updated together.

But yes, if Oslo had a lot more users than just OpenStack projects we
would have to make an even greater commitment to API stability.

Cheers,
Mark.