[openstack-dev] extracting nbd support to an oslo module?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 11:35:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 12:22 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to nbd from Python for part of diskimage-builder,

Context wasn't obvious to me, but I found:

  https://github.com/stackforge/diskimage-builder

> > and the needed code for that is neatly in nova; but installing nova on
> > sysadmin workstations just to get at that code is a little... ugly.
> >
> > Would there be any objections to moving the nbd code to an oslo
> > module, and if not, whats the process for that? [possibly more than
> > the nbd code - basically enough to get qcow2 images mounted :)].
>
> I'll let markmc reply on that, but oslo tends to be oriented towards
> reusing common code between openstack core projects, not to extract
> generally reusable pieces of code out of core projects for potential
> reuse elsewhere... I feel like it's a slippery slope that could make us
> lose our focus.

Yep, that's basically what I would have said too. I could be persuaded
otherwise, I guess, but I wouldn't see this particular API as being high
on the priority list for Oslo.

Also, I'd recommend just using libguestfs for poking around in qcow2
files from Python.

Cheers,
Mark.