[openstack-dev] Why no test DB ?

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Dec 10 18:04:18 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 11:58 AM, Adam Young wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 11:36 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 09:59 +1000, Matthew Sherborne wrote:
>>> Why don't we create and destroy a test sqlite in memory database for
>>> the tests instead of stubbing out the DB calls ?
>> Stubbing out the DB calls makes perfect sense for the unit tests, which
>> honestly should be (but isn't) the bulk of our test suite.  Using an
>> in-memory database is exactly what should be happening for the function
>> tests, and Monty's comment indicates that it is…
>>
> A quibble:  We do the sqlite in memory thing for most unit tests in
> Keystone.  I see it as our Mock DB implementation, and it provides a
> better unit test than reimplementing a halfway set of sql mock objects.

Given the complexity of the nova db, and the number of migrations that
build up (50+ in Essex -> Grizzly) there are performance implications to
keep doing that over and over again for all the unit tests, especially
the ones that are separated enough from the database that their code
should be tested in isolation.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague