[openstack-dev] Trusts and Explicit Impersonation

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Sat Dec 8 19:41:58 UTC 2012

Hi Malini,

That is an interesting use case. It is sort of like Trusts, in that the
customer rep has a diminished form of the users privileges (can't see
credit card details), but has some additional privileges the user wouldn't
have. Since the customer rep use case involves a third person interacting
with the system, it seems like the right way to provide this feature would
be to define a role for the privileges you want (can see line items, can't
see financial info, can give refund) and give that role to the customer
representative for the user's tenant.

However, in the explicit impersonation case, I'm hesitant to just give Nova
a role on every tenant that allows it to download and upload images. If a
bug in Nova somehow allowed a user in tenant1 to trigger these actions for
tenant2, that would represent a means of attack. Ideally, Glance would
authenticate a request and authorize an action based on both the identity
of the proximate user (Nova) and the ultimate user (a customer who triggers
a nova build/snapshot). That would provide more protection.

-Mark