[openstack-dev] [nova] Image metadata truncation

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Wed Dec 5 18:15:32 UTC 2012

OpenStackers -

Image metadata values in glance can be as large as you want. The database
column type is Text,
https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/glance/db/sqlalchemy/models.py#LC130.
I've tried it and can put large values in glance and get them out.

When you boot an image, nova stores the metadata, truncating values larger
than 255. The database column is String(255),
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/models.py#LC789.

I'm wondering if this is intentional or an oversight. As in, nova should be
able to store the full image metadata values.

I don't know of any specific problems this would cause other than what I'm
prototyping, which requires large-ish image metadata. I can work around it
by fetching the metadata from glance rather than use what nova gives me,
but there's probably a reason why nova makes a snapshot of the image
metadata.

- Brant Knudson