[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][synaps] Ceilometer and Synaps joining forces

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 17:38:53 UTC 2012

> Let's have a detailed discussion about the technicalities of managing
> the two codebases, issue tracking, task prioritization etc.

Ok, so lets figure out how were going to do this.

First question is how to approach managing the two codebases.

My instinct to merge the Synaps code into the Ceilo git repo,
re-packaging as ceilometer.synaps. Thoughts?

Secondly, in terms of issue tracking, the number of bugs
filed against https://launchpad.net/synaps is small, so we
could easily do a manual migration to a single consolidated
tracker under https://launchpad.net/ceilometer. Thoughts?

Finally in terms of prioritizing tasks, here's my laundry
list that I'm planning to translate to blueprints once the
initial transitions are done. Any further input would be
welcome.

 - clean up the long & awkward dependency chain and allow
   Synaps be sparked up optionally within devstack

 - beef up test coverage, which is currently low and has a
   strong functional as opposed to unittest orientation

 - push the Cassandra usage behind a storage abstraction,
   to allow for pluggable stores

 - add a native API, alongside the AWS CloudWatch API
   (capturing some of the novel aspects of Synaps,
    e.g. the concept of overlapping eval periods)

 - decouple metric ingestion and alarm evaluation from
   storm (currently embedded in the storm bolts)

 - support alternative non-storm (well, non-Java-oriented)
   distributed computation frameworks

 - switch to a periodic alarm threshold evaluation model
   (as evaluation on metric ingestion is prone to
    false positives when outliers report first)

Cheers,
Eoghan