[openstack-dev] question about "transifex-ify" a openstack project

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 05:32:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Lu, Lianhao <lianhao.lu at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to get ceilometer consistent with the translation process of OpenStack, following http://wiki.openstack.org/Translations. I have some questions about the i18n process:
>
> 1. Do we have to manually add .pot and .po files into git repository? Or the Jenkins/Transifex can do it automatically?
No, if you add the translation jobs to ceilometer with Jenkins Job
Builder in the openstack/openstack-ci-puppet repo, Jenkins will
propose changes to Gerrit to add and update the .pot and .po files.
These changes still need to be reviewed and approved by hand, but the
process of creating them is automatic. You can refer to keystone and
nova in the openstack/openstack-ci-puppet repo to see how we have
configured these jobs for those projects.

> 2. The i18n process on the wiki suggests to put Babel dependency into pip-requires. Is it required to run a openstack service? My first impression is that Babel is only required to generate the gettext message catalog.
It looks like Babel is currently in Nova's pip-requires and in
Keystone's test-requires. I think the correct place to put the
dependency on Babel is in the test-requires as Babel is only needed to
extract and merge the translation files.

The process of adding projects to transifex is still fairly new and
not well documented (the CI team is working on that but feel free to
nag us as necessary). In addition to the stuff above, we will need to
make sure that there is a ceilometer project in transifex that is part
of the openstack project hub. Also, the openstack jenkins account need
to be given access to push the .pot file to transifex so that we can
keep that info up to date for translators.

Free free to join the CI team in #openstack-infra on Freenode if you
have more questions or need more clarification on this process.

Clark