[openstack-dev] Hyperv test blobs?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Dec 4 22:25:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was just looking into some of the tests and came across some hyperv stuff that I don't understand.

Possibly somehow can help me understand whats happening here.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/tree/master/nova/tests/hyperv/stubs

There seem to be a bunch of binary serialized objects here that contain some secret hidden code used during testing (probably not harmful but who am I to say when the contents aren't visible). From a little decode script that I wrote to try to see whats going on here @ http://paste.ubuntu.com/1411286/ (that’s just a decode of one of those files) is it possible that in the future we can not accept such binary blobs (even for testing). Not to set off a panic, but if binary blobs are allowed in, then who is really sure that said blob isn't executing some code on my CI machine (or elsewhere) that could be doing malicious activities. Without clear-text source files, its pretty hard to say that they aren't (yes its just for testing, but that’s besides the point).

Did anyone besides the committers peek into those files to determine what is going on there (reviewers?)?

It looks like a 'future statement' said that json will go in @ (https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/tests/hyperv/README.rst), but shouldn't that have happened to begin with?

Crappy decoder script @ http://paste.ubuntu.com/1411300/

Thoughts welcome.

-Josh