[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Selecting an LBaaS device given a service type

Youcef Laribi Youcef.Laribi at eu.citrix.com
Tue Dec 4 21:29:58 UTC 2012

There is some misunderstandings going on in this thread (nothing unusual here:)), but since we have some code to play with, let’s use this to be more specific by what we mean.

Looking at the code that Eugene sent, I’m a bit confused, because we seem to be talking now not only about an “LB” scheduler, but a scheduler framework for all service types (LB, firewall, etc.).

get_device_for_resource(resource)
    return scheduling_drivers[resource.service_type].get_device_for_resource(resource)

      device_info = get_device_for_resource(resource)

It seems that for each service_type, we suggest having a “scheduler”, which is  confusingly called "scheduling_driver" (I imagine this has nothing to do with the vendor-specific LB drivers, right?).

So, if a service type contains service definitions for LB and Firewall, we will have the same “scheduler_driver”?

Even if I assume that my service type has been created so it only contains one “LB” service definition (and no other service definitions), and therefore it will nicely map to a scheduler that only does “LB” scheduling like the one included

class LBScheduler:
  device_handlers = [list of classes for each device type, which can match VIP requirements to device caps and status]
  get_device_for_vip(vip)
   for device in devices:
      if device_handlers[device.type].is_good(device, vip):
         return device

In the above code, the method get_device_for _vip(), uses a concept of “device_handler” for each “device type” (driver). Isn’t this device_handler(), vendor-specific code?

If the above assumption is correct, then the vendor *is* actually taking part in the scheduling decision, which is already an improvement on the previous proposal.

But does it mean we are suggesting to have vendor-specific code scattered in several places, some of it in the scheduler, some of it in the agent/driver? I don’t like this. I thought that the LB plugin should be completely vendor-agnostic, and all vendor-specific code should be grouped in the agent/driver component.

Thanks,
Youcef