[openstack-dev] removing hard dependencies

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Dec 4 17:33:54 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 08:49 AM, Christian Berendt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> At the moment there are several hard dependencies for several projects
> in the pip-requires. As an example for Nova we've the following entries:
>
> Cheetah==2.4.4
> boto==2.1.1
> routes==1.12.3
> WebOb==1.0.8
> PasteDeploy==1.5.0
> suds==0.4
>
> That's really irritating when packaging the several core projects,
> because most of the distributions already provide higher versions of the
> dependencies. Downgrading several packages or providing separate
> packages is not nice.
>
> Is there any documentation about the choices of those static versions? I
> really would like to see that all static versions can be removed and
> that always the latest releases can be used together with the OpenStack
> projects.

I'd like to see that documentation myself. We discussed a bunch of
things around this in the common dependencies session at the summit. To
my knowledge there has not been much movement on it.

I know that the usual reason we hard-pin something is a naughty upstream
who like to break APIs - but I agree, we should be actively aware of
what's going on here.

Perhaps you'd like to work with Mark McLaughlin on getting
https://github.com/openstack/requirements sensible?