[openstack-dev] Blueprint proposal: Drop setuptools_git for including data/config files

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 4 14:43:50 UTC 2012

Ionuț Arțăriși wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 02:06 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> In summary, I would hate it if we went back to the previous situation.
>> I'm not personally attached to setuptools_git, but any proposed
>> replacement solution should keep its simplicity.
>
> Maybe a solution could be to add a Jenkins hook for re-generating the
> MANIFEST.in file after each commit? Just like we currently have for
> updating the contributors email list?

I suppose that could work, although I'd wait on Monty's opinion before
moving on that :)

Note that it's not just MANIFEST.in that needs updating, but also the
"scripts" entry in setup.py. Most developers just forgot to update it
when they added a new executable under bin/... and it needs updating
unless you rely on setuptools_git to handle that for you.

Makes regenerating as a commit hook a bit more tricky (mix autogenerated
with authored content in a single file).

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack