[openstack-dev] Question on component docs

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Fri Aug 31 17:47:40 UTC 2012

+1 on making sure every project *has* these pieces; standardizing them is less of a priority in my mind.

Personally, I prefer very thorough release notes published with the documentation (a la http://docs.openstack.org/developer/horizon/#release-notes ), as it gives a more thorough overview than just a changelog. In those release notes I like to highlight 3 key areas:

*         release highlights (features and fixes)

*         known issues

*         backwards-incompatible changes (if there are any).

Covering those three areas makes sure people upgrading really know what they're getting. I'm already working on the Folsom release notes for Horizon.

I do like the idea of having a migration guide published for each version, though. I think that'd be helpful in making people mindful of what backwards-incompatible changes they've made in a release cycle.

Though many (if not all) of the projects do have some form of installation guide already they could all be better. The problem there is that there are so many ways to install/setup/configure that writing a single guide is impractical. I think it's better to have a concise summary of installation/deployment concerns that people should be made aware of, and then to provide sort of a "sample" or "reference" installation guide as a companion to that documentation.

Great suggestions!

-          Gabriel