[openstack-dev] [Glance] Implementing Common Image Properties

Brian Waldon bcwaldon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:27:37 UTC 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:29 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> On 08/29/2012 06:27 PM, Gabe Westmaas wrote:
>>> REQUEST TO ADD ATTRIBUTE TO IMAGE SCHEMA
>>>
>>> Proposed Name of Attribute: os_arch
>>>
>>> JSONSchema of proposed property in Image Schema:
>>>
>>> {
>>> "os_arch":
>>> {
>>> "type": "string",
>>> "required": false,
>>> "default": null,
>>> "description": "Operating system architecture",
>>> "enum": ["x86_64","i386","sparc","sparc64", ...]
>>> }
>>> }
>>
>> I approve this request :)  This all sounds fine, I guess the next step is
>> to take those 3 base properties, make the recommendation that they land in
>> v2(.1?) and go from there?
>
> Seems logical to me. Waldon, what say you?

I'm happy with this direction, but there are still a couple of things we need to discuss:

1) Do we use the common distro names for os_distro or the (previously-suggested) domain names (org.ubuntu, com.microsoft)?

I'm in favor of common names.

2) Do we define enums for these fields or leave them as open-ended strings?

I'm in favor of no enums and suggesting usage for known values (ubuntu instead of ubuntu-server, etc).