[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Administrator Guide - quantum.conf

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Aug 29 14:34:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
> > with code. Can anyone describe why hyphens are needed at the command line
> > and underscores in the config file? How can we make it consistent both
> > places?
>
> The change of the CLI options to use dashes as word separators is
> meant to make the CLI more consistent with user expectations for long
> options in general where most of the rest of the world uses dashes
> rather than underscores.  We do map dashes to underscores for
> equivalent environment variables.
>
> The other distinction here is that the *.conf files are used by the
> services that run in OpenStack and limited to operators visibility
> where the CLI is totally end-user-facing.

Awesome explanations, thanks Dean.

Just to let the list know, I did create a "cloud user" CLI guide recently
(like last week, the days blur together) at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11274/. There's no "admin/operator" CLI
guide though the commands are organized within admin tasks in the admin
manuals. We'll note these differences where we can in the docs.

I appreciate this list's collective helpfulness.
Anne