[openstack-dev] [Quantum] About XML support in Quantum v2 API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 06:32:38 UTC 2012

On 08/25/2012 10:50 AM, Hochmuth, Roland M wrote:
>  [Hochmuth, Roland M] I've spoken with several folks at HP about this. The consensus is that XML is very important for enterprise customers and if not supported will present a barrier to more wide-spread adoption within the enterprise. If XML is supported OpenStack becomes much more consumable in the enterprise.

Sure, no problem. :) I've heard all of this before, though, like I
mentioned. When push comes to shove, people just use the bindings for
their language, and very rarely do they actually rewrite the work that
others have done to make raw HTTP calls. In other words, when I hear
"enterprise customers need this", in my experience, they actually don't.
What they need is Java bindings that cover the whole OpenStack API. Many
times they don't care whether the bindings internally communicate with
JSON or XML.

But, that said... if it is truly important, and like you mention below,
you are happy to help with a solution, I'm certainly not going to stop
you! :)

> The only tenable solution proposed for this -- and I'm not sure whether it was George who suggested it or someone else -- is to have XML serialization driven from a JSON converter, so that you don't have to maintain multiple format definitions, only the JSON format definition that can be translated to XML. That way you don't need to maintain lots of code, only a decent JSON -> XML translation engine that feasibly could go into openstack-common...
>
>  [Hochmuth, Roland M] I also agree that this sounds like it would be a good approach and it is commonly used. There are several Python XML converters that we could look into leveraging. Do we know if the JSON can always be translated to XML for the case of the OpenStack API? I'm just wondering if this approach was already investigated but not used for some reason, as in there are some show-stoppers. Unless someone else would like to own this area, as it doesn't seem to be covered yet, I would be happy to volunteer to investigate this area further and propose a blueprint... I'll be attending the OpenStack conference so that would be a good time to sync-up and run a session on this topic, if there is enough interest, and implement in Grizzly.

Agreed. Thierry Carrez will soon be sending out a link with information
on how you can create a session proposal for the Grizzly summit. Sounds
like a good session to have -- and if you can prepare some slides or
sample code ahead of time, all the better.

All the best,
-jay