[openstack-dev] Quantum vs. Nova-network in Folsom

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Aug 27 18:06:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Jack McCann <jjm3lp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:
>>

>> Moving beyond Folsom, we expect to fully freeze the addition of new
>> functionality to nova-network, and likely deprecate at least some
>> portions of the existing nova-network functionality.  Likely this will
>> leave the basic flat and flat + dhcp nova networking intact, but
>> reduce complexity in the nova codebase by removing more advanced
>> networking scenarios that can also be achieved via Quantum.
>

> Could you please elaborate on what parts are likely to be deprecated?

What functionality might be deprecated in Grizzly is still TBD, since
we're still focused on Folsom at this point.

That said, here's my best guess:  the long-term goal is to simplify
the Nova networking code and reduce duplicate functionality.  More
advanced functionality, particularly the L3/NAT/FloatingIP stuff, may
be removed over time once we're confident that the same use cases can
be achieved via Quantum as well.  This would leave basic "flat" and
"flat DHCP" networking in Nova.  Still, this is TBD.

Dan